To help you and your daughter prepare for camp, we've created this page with much of the information you'll need.
If you don't find what you're looking for, please contact our office at (828) 883-2181 or Email Us. We look forward to hearing from you!
The first step toward having a fun, stress-free summer at Illahee is sitting down with your daughter and helping to put her in an enthusiastic frame of mind as she sets out to spend a summer at camp. (It’s usually not hard!)
- Heighten your daughter's interest by pointing out some of the exciting things about a summer at Illahee. These may include activities, special events and new friends.
- Introduce your daughter to other children in your community who will be attending camp. The camp representative in your hometown can help facilitate this.
- Familiarize yourself and your daughter with the camp environment and daily routine.
- Though we’re apt to paint a bright, promising picture of an ideal camp experience, it’s important not to gloss over the not-so glamorous realities of rustic living. There will be bugs in the shower house, frogs making noise at night, cool nights, rainy days and the occasional splinter or bug bite. These incidents should not surprise a first-time camper.
- Prepare your child to take care of herself. Have her spend a weekend with a friend or a relative. Encourage her to make her bed and set the table.
- Speak openly about homesickness before camp. Once your daughter understands that homesickness is normal and natural, she may accept it with less anxiety. Let her know that if she does experience homesickness, she won't be alone. In fact, she'll soon discover that camp is filled with experts on the subject! In the end, you can assure her that she will make a speedy and complete recovery from the homesick blues and have a great experience.
Clothing should be functional and durable for camp. Please be sure that attire is modest and in good taste and that bra straps and tummies are covered. Please don’t send valuable clothing.
*This item may be ordered through camp
PLEASE MARK YOUR CHILD'S NAME CLEARLY ON ALL ITEMS!
Most electrical and electronic devices are not welcome at camp. The rustic setting is specifically designed to allow campers to come into close contact with nature. Activities, evening programs, and socializing with friends provide ample entertainment. Televisions, lap-tops, ipods and other electronic toys should be left at home. All wireless devices, including cell phones and wireless-capable cameras, are prohibited.
Laundry is done once a week and is washed and sorted for each cabin. Campers should bring a pillow and pillowcases, but camp will provide sheets, towels and blankets. Donated bath towels are always appreciated!
Please limit your daughter’s baggage to one standard size trunk (approximately 32" wide and 15" high). Trunks this size fit under our bunks, allowing more space in the cabin. Trunks may be brought to camp in your car, sent on the plane or shipped via your preferred courier service to:
500 Illahee Road
Brevard, NC 28712
Place a Camp Illahee trunk sticker, which can be downloaded and printed here, on your child’s trunk to help us identify it.
Please Note: Though representative of the classic summer camp experience, a heavy footlocker is not always the best option for summer camp. Illahee girls are provided plenty of storage space for their things. As such, we encourage parents to consider packing lighter, more manageable plastic containers and soft-sided trunks.